Fire damages house
CAMPBELL -- Fire caused an estimated $10,000 damage to a ranch-style home at 270 Park Drive Friday afternoon. The fire department said it was caused by the occupant's leaving a pot unattended on the stove.
Homeowner Claudia Garner put out the fire before firefighters arrived. Firefighters ventilated the home, which had filled with smoke, and shut off power to the stove after the 5:30 p.m. blaze. There were no injuries.
Damage was estimated at $2,000 to the house and $8,000 to its contents. Garner told firefighters she had left the pot unattended for only one minute.
Woman hit by cars
YOUNGSTOWN -- A woman was reported in critical condition with head injuries in St. Elizabeth Health Center after being hit by two cars Friday afternoon on Interstate 680 near Meridian Road.
Westbound cars driven by William Carney, 48, of Edna Street, Poland, and Laura Pecchia, 34, of Sheridan Road, Youngstown, hit the woman as she was walking southbound and entered the road at 2:30 p.m., said the Ohio State Highway Patrol. The patrol was not releasing the woman's identity late Friday evening.